I’ve put together a really simple Selenium setup repo that should work in OSX and Windows. There’s not much to it; just downloads the appropriate files and sets you up with easy run scripts. It’s available on GitHub.
Ha, that title looks ridiculous!
There are tons of tutorials on how to get VT-d working with KVM/libvirt/Qemu/etc. It’s still a fairly new and unused feature, which means that it is getting updated pretty frequently. Unfortunately, the Internet doesn’t update as quickly, so most of the documentation out there is not accurate or the best approach. This post serves as a snapshot of how I set up my system on September 14th, 2014. As I make progress I’ll try to update this post. I hope it helps other people save some time. Good luck!
Most of this was discovered through these posts:
- Multiheaded NVIDIA Gaming using Ubuntu 14.04 + KVM
KVM Hypervisor Host Installation (Check out step 8.1.6)
- Intel onboard ethernet passthrough
- GPU passthrough (not complete)
Enable vt-d on the host system
Add the following to /etc/modules:
vfio vfio_iommu_type1 vfio_pci kvm kvm_intel
Some instructions mention that you may also need an extra parameter:
Disable AppArmor for libvirtd
ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.libvirtd /etc/apparmor.d/disable/ ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.libvirt.virt-aa-helper /etc/apparmor.d/disable/ apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.libvirtd apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/usr.lib.libvirt.virt-aa-helper
Reload and reboot
update-grub reboot now
I’ve added the configuration I’m using for my Windows 8 VM. I’m using webvirtmgr to manage it.
- changed cpu mode to host-passthrough
- added <hostdev> for passthrough Intel ethernet device
If you are running OS X Mavericks and can’t install gems that require building native extensions, try the following line:
ARCHFLAGS=-Wno-error=unused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future gem install GEM_NAME
Some examples of problem gems include libxml-ruby, json, and nokogiri. More info can be found on SO discussion.
I have a particular Eclipse workspace that has a pretty elaborate setup. For a long time, I had an issue where once in a while, Eclipse would just freeze during startup with no way to load the workspace. In the past, I would have to rebuild the workspace from scratch. But just today I found a post on Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/a/9832027) that explains how easy it is to fix this.
- Close Eclipse if it’s open.
- Open a terminal window.
- cd to your workspace directory.
- rm .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.snap
- Reopen Eclipse.
I wanted to create a tool that could verify if a given SWF references the Stage instance. The only reason to reference the Stage is if you want to call one or more of its member functions or properties. So I set up this test to simulate DisplayObjects being added to the Stage. I wanted to verify the sequence of events so I created the same sequence of DisplayObjects that actually were added to the Stage and then create a Sprite as the root and manually fired ADDED_TO_STAGE events as display children were added to it. The resulting code is below. Feel free to use it however you need…
As a personal project, I wanted to put together a parser for VAST responses. So I created an ActionScript library on GitHub. It’s basic but takes care of the monotonous XML to AS3 mappings. It also allows for custom extension parsers.
For more info, visit the project page: http://nathanhinish.github.com/AS3-IABLib/
UPDATE: I think a WP update borked the page. If there’s interest I’ll put it up. Otherwise, here’s the link to the GitHub repo. https://github.com/nathanhinish/AS3-IABLib
UPDATE #2: There is growing interest in the library so I wanted to make sure the documentation is available online. To that end, I created a GitHub project page that has a link to the documentation. http://nathanhinish.github.com/AS3-IABLib/
I have recently been lucky enough to be employed by Hulu as a Flash Developer. As such, I will probably focus my development energy there. So I’ll try to use this blog for my other loves, such as photography, music, and snowboarding. However, there will probably be an article every so often about development on the Internet.
I just came across a Flex framework class I was previously unaware of. It’s the AsyncResponder class and has a nifty extra parameter in addition to the ‘result’ and ‘fault’ parameters of the normal Responder class. The third parameter allows you to pass-through data in the form of a token object. This could definitely come in handy when trying to use the Command pattern if you don’t want lingering commands. For more info, check the link below.
I’ve put together a set of Ant scripts build targets to create the boilerplate code for a Robotlegs/Signals project. You can either clone the code using Git at git clone https://bitbucket.org/nathan.hinish/flex-rl-generator
It can create a basic project structure with or without the Flash Builder specific files like .flexProperties and .actionscriptProperties. The project creation targets will set up the necessary libraries, create the project folders, and create a default project SignalsContext with mappings for the StartupCommand. Then you have a variety of targets that can create client signal loops, service signal loops, view mediators, models, etc.
In addition to the creation targets, there are a couple extras to run Flex-PMD to verify the quality of your code and to build a production-ready SWF. To see more info, you can check out the Project Wiki.
Enjoy, and if you have questions, feel free to comment below. Or if you have an idea for a better project name, please suggest them. I’ve been trying to think of one but couldn’t.